IntelliShift Telematics Gateway Install using a 3-Wire power harness
3-Wire installs are used for Customers who do not have the diagnostic option for their vehicles. You will need to find and utilize a Constant Positive source for Power, an Ignition based Positive for Ignition and unpainted Metal for Ground.
For Vehicles who use a standard Key to start, the optimal source is to go to the Ignition Tumbler and tap into the wire harness there for Power and Ignition.
For Vehicles who use an Engine Push to Start, we usually source those wires from the vehicles BCM/ECU/Fuse Box and use a computer safe test light or multimeter to find the correct wires for Power and Ignition.
We tap into those wires via our a poke and wrap method, creating a small hole in the wire after its stripped to wrap our wire around the vehicle's wire, then using tape to wrap around our connection. Afterwards, we use a zip tie to secure all our connections on each individual wire.
For Ground, usually, any unpainted metal surface that is bolted directly to the body and isn’t a moving part is sufficed. Attach a small Ring Terminal and use a self-tapping screw to secure in place.
- Wire stripping pliers, side strips or a utility knife
- Wire pick (nylon is preferred)
- Super 33 or better electrical tape
- Zip ties
Step 1: Once you have located a constant power source, and a switched ignition source, tapping into those wires should follow the steps below.
Step 2: Follow the poke and wrap method for connecting to the power and ignitions sources to maintain integrity of existing wiring.
Step 3: Strip back wire insulation and create a loop in the wire
- Use wire strippers or a utility knife to carefully remove approximately 1 inch (2.5 cm) of wire insulation.
- Use a pick to divide and the wires equally to form a loop in the center of the wire opening.
Step 4: Insert and wrap the new wire
- Remove approximately 2" (5 cm) of insulation from the new wire you intend to add to the circuit.
- With the insulation removed, insert the new wire through the center of loop opening.
- Now push the wire down then twist it fully around and into the loop again, and then press the loop closed.
- Lay the new wire flat against the closed loop in the direction that goes toward the device it is powering. Wrap the remaining wire length tightly around the vehicle wire, and pull it snug to remove any slack.
- Wrap electrical tape around the connection, overlapping the insulation by at least 1" (2.5 cm). Place zip ties over the tape to secure it in place.
Caution: Disconnect the negative battery terminal or harness from the battery feed as necessary to prevent shorts which can blow fuses or damage adjacent equipment.
Warning: Always use caution while wire is exposed. It is very easy to short to ground by touching the chassis with exposed wire or your pick while it touches exposed wire.
- The device should be installed under the dashboard with a clear line of sight to the sky, and as close to the windshield as possible. Place device with barcode decal facing downward. (Reference diagram A)
- DO NOT install the unit underneath metal as the signal will not penetrate and reach the
- During initial installation, the vehicle should ideally be outside to ensure the best GPS signal. The devices may not report a location to the satellite if it is inside a garage or other
- Secure the device with Velcro, and/or zip ties to ensure it is solidly mounted to the vehicle.
- After securing the harness within the vehicle it is now time to power up the
- With the Ignition Off, Plug in the device to the Molex
- During the boot up process the device will flash Orange and Green for 1 second and then go off.
- This represents the device powering up
- After 15 seconds both lights will come back.
- Solid Orange means the device has established connection with our server to report data
- Blinking Green (on/off every 1 second) means the device has current cellular connection
- Before finalizing installation, contact our Support Department at 631-339-7172 to verify the device is properly reporting to IntelliShift